- A meteor that survives its passage through the earth’s atmosphere such that part of it strikes the ground. More than 90 percent of meteorites are of rock, while the remainder consist wholly or partly of iron and nickel.More example sentences
- It has been identified in carbonaceous achondrite and iron meteorites.
- Grouped with iron meteorites, these are pieces from the cores of fledgling planets destroyed by collisions when the Solar System formed.
- They are very similar in composition to the carbonaceous chondrite meteorites that sometimes fall on Earth.
- More example sentences
- By examining the volatile content of meteoritic contaminants in the lunar regolith and of volatiles cold-trapped at the lunar poles, we can determine their chemical and isotopic composition and possible source regions.
- Lunar and meteoritic rocks are older than terrestrial material, but they may have formed very recently indeed during the history of the Universe so are not useful in the cosmological setting
- In this region they would have been safe from late meteoritic and cometary impacts after the accretion of the Earth.
More definitions of meteoriteDefinition of meteorite in:
- The British & World English dictionary