- A colorless, odorless flammable gas that is the main constituent of natural gas. It is the simplest member of the alkane series of hydrocarbons.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CH4
- Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.
- Will it in the meantime be made from hydrocarbons like methane and natural gas?
- For example, the alcohol derivative of methane is methanol and of ethane is ethanol.
More definitions of methaneDefinition of methane in:
- The British & World English dictionary