- A synthetic compound that interferes with cell growth and is used to treat leukemia and other forms of cancer.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: 4-amino-10-methylfolic acid; chemical formula: C20H22N8O5
- Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.
- Treatment may include systemic steroids, intralesional steroid injection, antimalarials, or methotrexate.
- Antimalarial drugs or immune response modifiers like methotrexate can reduce steroid dose and side effects.
1950s: from meth- (denoting a substance containing methyl groups) + elements of unknown origin.
More definitions of methotrexateDefinition of methotrexate in:
- The British & World English dictionary