noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the alkyl radical —CH3, derived from methane and present in many organic compounds: methyl bromideMore example sentences
- For example, the derived alkyl group from methane is the methyl group.
- Currently, the largest volume organic bromine product is methyl bromide, a fumigant.
- The boat was carrying 6000 metric tons of styrene, isopropyl and methyl ethyl ketone.
mid 19th century: from German Methyl or French méthyle, back-formations from German Methylen and French méthylène (see methylene).
More definitions of methylDefinition of methyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary