noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- The divalent radical or group —CH2—, derived from methane by loss of two hydrogen atoms: methylene chlorideMore example sentences
- Your body changes some inhaled methylene chloride to carbon monoxide.
- The formation of conjugated dienes occurs when free radicals attack the hydrogens of methylene groups separating double bonds and leading to a rearrangement of the bonds.
- Paint and other materials that are not soluble in degreasing solvents may require the use of methylene chloride, alkaline cleaners, or special proprietary compounds.
mid 19th century: from French méthylène (formed irregularly from Greek methu 'wine' + hulē 'wood') + -ene.
More definitions of methyleneDefinition of methylene in:
- The British & World English dictionary