noun (plural meticais /metiˈkīSH/)
- The basic monetary unit of Mozambique, equal to 100 centavos.More example sentences
- We are demanding that the minimum wage at Mabor be increased from 630,000 meticais to 1.5 million meticais a month.
- Hunched figures squatted against the walls in the greenish gloom, working silently, bent over filigree necklaces crafted from melted down meticais, the Mozambican currency.
- You can get away without changing currency in South Africa - when you need meticais, there's always someone on hand willing to take your rands, or better yet, US dollars.
Portuguese, based on Arabic miṯḳāl, from ṯaḳala 'to weigh'.
More definitions of meticalDefinition of metical in:
- The British & World English dictionary