Definition of metricate in English:
Change or adapt to a metric system of measurement.
- Napoleon Bonaparte started to metricate the world in the early 1800s. Two hundred years later, the US still has problems in following the rest of the world.
- Everything from cough mixture to nail varnish is already metricated in the city's pharmacies.
- Imagine - the European Commission might want to harmonise uniforms and cap badges, or even metricate them.
- Example sentences
- We're sitting less than 12 months away from a General Election and any party that declared support for metrication would take a pounding.
- It would do no harm to allow metric on pedestrian distance signs and would pave the way for the ultimate objective of full metrication of traffic signs.
- The UK government committed to introduce metrication over a 10-year period 40 years ago but has yet to introduce kilometres on our roads.
Definition of metricate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.