(also mezereum /-əm/)
A Eurasian shrub with fragrant purplish-red flowers and poisonous red berries, found chiefly in calcareous woodlands.
- Daphne mezereum, family Thymelaeaceae
More example sentences
- Due to the warmness, we have flowering liverleafs, mezereons etc. in our forests.
- The accompanying scrub consists of Mediterranean mezereons, bush germanders, kermes oaks, sarsaparillas, lentisks, oleanders, strawberry trees, myrtles and junipers.
- Here mezereons grow, and salmon trout comes to spawn.
late 15th century: from medieval Latin, from Arabic māzaryūn.
More definitions of mezereonDefinition of mezereon in:
- The British & World English dictionary