Definition of microphagous in English:
(Of an invertebrate) feeding on minute particles or microorganisms.
- Bottom or near-bottom feeding of the L klingeri animal as a scavenger or as a microphagous predator is envisaged, in a low-energy environmental setting.
- Despite these complex results, our data show that microphagous surface deposit feeders can select for particles based on size and organic coating.
- We have found that appendicularians, the most abundant microphagous metazoans, strongly stimulate the magnitude of experimentally induced blooms and that this effect can be scaled to any appendicularian density.
- Example sentences
- The role of paracrine signals such as microphagic cytokines in CL aging remains to be elucidated.
- McCormick et al. found that macrophagic omnivore percent was more responsive to sedimentation than total or microphagic omnivores.
- P. maraena is a microphagic omnivore, and stomachs sampled contained principally cladocerans, algae and small insects.
Pronunciation: /ˌmīkrəˈfājik, -ˈfajik/adjective
Definition of microphagous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan