Definition of microscope in English:
An optical instrument used for viewing very small objects, such as mineral samples or animal or plant cells, typically magnified several hundred times.
- The paper shows that positrons can see defects better than either optical or electron beam microscopes.
- In rapid succession the field ion microscope and the scanning tunnelling microscope soon joined these microscopes.
- A biopsy allows scientists to look at a sample of your cells under a microscope and carry out tests on the tissue.
- 1under the microscope
- Under critical examination.Example sentences
- Each week a topical subject was put under the microscope and debated by way of historical writings.
- The US battle plans have been widely leaked and put under the microscope by Western military analysts.
- All current spending has to be put under the microscope, with a thorough examination across all spending heads.
Words that rhyme with microscopegyroscope • horoscope
Definition of microscope in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.