Definition of microscope in English:
An optical instrument used for viewing very small objects, such as mineral samples or animal or plant cells, typically magnified several hundred times.
- The paper shows that positrons can see defects better than either optical or electron beam microscopes.
- In rapid succession the field ion microscope and the scanning tunnelling microscope soon joined these microscopes.
- A biopsy allows scientists to look at a sample of your cells under a microscope and carry out tests on the tissue.
under the microscope
- Under critical examination.Example sentences
- Each week a topical subject was put under the microscope and debated by way of historical writings.
- The US battle plans have been widely leaked and put under the microscope by Western military analysts.
- All current spending has to be put under the microscope, with a thorough examination across all spending heads.
Words that rhyme with microscopegyroscope • horoscope
Definition of microscope in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan