Definition of microseism in English:
A very small earthquake, less than 2 on the Richter scale.
- The microseisms are located and the data is used to create maps of the hydraulic fracture geometry.
- Collectively, these ocean microseisms have an annual cumulative seismic energy comparable to that generated from earthquakes, said Kedar.
- Scientists believed that microseisms are generated when the large ocean waves of hurricanes interfere or strike a coastline.
- Example sentences
- Corrections have to be made for such things as the frictional and buoyancy effects of the residual gases in the chamber, and for microseismic activity, which accelerates the entire instrument.
- When waves hit the shores of North America, all over the edges of the continent, they collectively produce a low reverberation roughly every six seconds, a microseismic growl that peaks at 0.16 hertz.
- These microseismic events are recorded on surface using the Paladin data acquisition system.
Definition of microseism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan