Definition of midwife toad in English:
A European toad, the male of which has a distinctive piping call in spring and carries the developing eggs wrapped around his hind legs.
- Alytes obstetricans, family Discoglossidae
- After fertilizing eggs, the male of the European midwife toad pushes his legs into the string of eggs until they are wound around his waist and legs.
- While a handful of amphibians have started to recover with reintroduction programs, such as the Mallorcan midwife toad, the prospects may be more dire for amphibians than for birds.
- A total of 794 species were considered at risk, including the Indian pygmy hog, the Mallorcan midwife toad and the golden-crowned sifaka of Madagascar.
Definition of midwife toad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan