Definition of midwife toad in English:
A European toad, the male of which has a distinctive piping call in spring and carries the developing eggs wrapped around his hind legs.
- Alytes obstetricans, family Discoglossidae
- After fertilizing eggs, the male of the European midwife toad pushes his legs into the string of eggs until they are wound around his waist and legs.
- While a handful of amphibians have started to recover with reintroduction programs, such as the Mallorcan midwife toad, the prospects may be more dire for amphibians than for birds.
- A total of 794 species were considered at risk, including the Indian pygmy hog, the Mallorcan midwife toad and the golden-crowned sifaka of Madagascar.
Definition of midwife toad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.