- 1Seasonal movement of animals from one region to another: this butterfly’s annual migration across North AmericaMore example sentences
- This may be an important mechanism promoting the shoreward migration of larval invertebrates and fish.
- In proposing the waiver, the agency suggested that it would actually benefit wildlife: By interrupting migration, drilling would enable scientists to study the effects of habitat disruption on the deer.
- But each year the number decreased until there was only one, which left in late February, 1995, to begin its long spring migration to Russia's steppes.
- 1.1Movement of people to a new area or country in order to find work or better living conditions: the extensive rural-to-urban migration has created a severe housing shortageMore example sentences
- The set of questions, mostly aimed at the intelligentsia, seek to form an opinion on migration of Sikhs from Kashmir.
- By 1850, the heaviest concentration was in Louisiana, the result of Sicilian migration to New Orleans and its environs.
- It was the biggest migration of people seen in Europe since the Dark Ages.
- 2Movement from one part of something to another: there is virtually no cell migration in plantsMore example sentences
- Generally, foreland basins show convex-up subsidence curves due to increasing subsidence rates through time resulting from migration of a supra-crustal orogenic load towards the foreland.
- Note that migration always changes the state of the entire segment, because a gamete either does or does not migrate.
- In ductile materials, these stress concentrations may be relieved by creep and stress relaxation in the matrix or by grain-boundary migration.
- More example sentences
- And if it weren't for genetically implanted migrational instincts I doubt any moose kids would go up there.
- This feature may well have created a broad migrational highway for East Gondwanan marine and freshwater species to spread westward.
- The different migrational waves that swept the Caribbean region over centuries have influenced the culture and the culinary habits of the region.