- A niche in the wall of a mosque, at the point nearest to Mecca, toward which the congregation faces to pray.More example sentences
- The mosque contains, in its eastern wall, the mihrab, an ornamented niche that points toward Mecca and toward Allah (spiritually).
- In 1549, Jafar founded Kudus Mosque and fastened the rock in its mihrab, a niche in the mosque wall facing Mecca.
- A niche in one of the walls, called a mihrab, shows the direction that the worshippers should face in order to face Mecca.
from Arabic miḥrāb 'place for prayer'.
More definitions of mihrabDefinition of mihrab in:
- The British & World English dictionary