Definition of milestone in English:
1A stone set up beside a road to mark the distance in miles to a particular place.
- A granite marker stone or milestone is preserved in Breage church.
- Stuart now studies old Ordnance Survey maps, which mark the location of milestones with the letters MS, or MP for milepost.
- The French twin town presented Ingleton with a milestone setting out the distance between the two.
2An action or event marking a significant change or stage in development: the speech is being hailed as a milestone in race relations
More example sentences
- Here are important milestones on the road leading up to the current situation.
- It is not easy but represents a positive milestone on the long road to recovery.
- Each of these are milestones on a road that's inexorably leading us into a one-way street from which there is no return.
Words that rhyme with milestonetritone • drystone
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.