- 1The semen of a male fish.More example sentences
- As she releases the eggs on the bed, the male simultaneously releases milt to fertilize them.
- As the eggs and milt are released, males thrash their tails wildly, apparently to help scatter the eggs.
- Paddlefish are broadcast spawners whereby multiple males swim near and release milt onto the eggs liberated by a female.
- 1.1A sperm-filled reproductive gland of a male fish.More example sentences
- Soft roe or milt is the male fish's reproductive gland.
- "Soft roe" (also called "white roe") is the milt (male reproductive glands filled with seminal fluid) of the male fish.
Old English milte 'spleen', of Germanic origin; perhaps related to melt. The current sense dates from the late 15th century.
More definitions of miltDefinition of milt in:
- The British & World English dictionary