- It offers workshops providing acting skills, voice, movement, mime, improvisation, text reading, stagecraft, character development and confidence building.
- Go along to see a variety of dance including contemporary, hip hop, cabaret, physical theatre, salsa, mime and physical character.
- He was the outsider who was on intimate terms with them, communicating through comic mime with expressions and gestures that became a well known code.
- Her majesty also watched a mime and street dance performance from students at Welling School on the theme of life as a teenager.
- On the night of January 27 there will be a two-hour multi cultural performance of drama, songs, dances and mimes.
- They cleared the floor and treated the crowd to a mime and dance routine that had us all in stitches.
- And, when they do, they always smile and sigh, and there's a silent mime of applause.
- Joshua made circles of his fingers over his eyes, a brief mime of spectacles.
- Finally he ended with a mime of what looked like the preparation of an egg dish.
- One night a friend and I went into town to see the mime artist Marcel Marceau.
- Musicians, dancers, acrobats, clowns, actors, mimes and every hybrid in between entertain and educate audiences of kids, their parents and teachers.
- There will be actors strolling among the crowds, square dancers, singers, mimes and someone creating balloon animals.
- In fact, in Greece during the first centuries ad the term denoted a category of actors who recreated ancient legends on stage through dramatic mimes!
- These were designed for public performances - gladiatorial contests and other spectacles in the amphitheatres, plays and mimes in the theatres - and were accessible to all classes of Roman society.
- N. Purcell examines imperial mimes, K. Coleman presents a study of the punishment of delatores - those who had spied for previous (and now deceased and discredited) emperors.
verb[with object] Back to top
- The title role was mimed in the original version.
- They gave him easy stuff to do, such as miming a scene while someone else did the voice.
- So Jon and I were standing there, miming this scene from Moonlight Mile - and have I mentioned just how scrumptious Jake Gyllenhaal looks in this movie, with the doe eyes and the buttery, knobby shoulders?
- It feels real, thanks to the inclusion of a small girl who can effectively mime fear and horror.
- Robyn stood back and clasped her hands together, miming maidenly awe.
- My character mimed ill-disguised boredom while waiting for him to settle down.
- Example sentences
- Bringing more good news from Sweden, these foxy female 20-somethings have been playing since pre-pubescence, and this well-timed stateside debut hits girlie bands and Strokes mimers where it hurts.
- The other aim of the acting lessons is to help the mimers to develop their ability to work with others and to create their own material.
- We had mummers and mimers, too, with ballads and traditional dialogues, and the famous old interlude of the Hobby Horse.
Early 17th century (also in the sense 'mimic or jester'): from Latin mimus, from Greek mimos.
pantomime from late 16th century:
This word comes from Greek pantomimos ‘imitator of all’. In Latin pantomimus was used for an actor using mime. This later developed into a comic dramatization with the stock characters of Clown, Pantaloon ( see pantaloons), Harlequin, and Columbine. The familiar panto based on fairy tales such as Mother Goose or Cinderella and involving music, topical jokes, and slapstick comedy developed in the 19th century, with a new set of conventional characters including the dame, the principal boy, and the pantomime horse. Mime (early 17th century) and mimic (late 16th century) come from the same root.
Words that rhyme with mimebegrime, Chaim, chime, climb, clime, crime, dime, grime, half-time, I'm, lime, mistime, part-time, prime, rhyme, rime, slime, sublime, sub-prime, thyme, time
Late 20th century: an acronym for multipurpose Internet mail extensions.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.