Definition of minaret in English:
A tall slender tower, typically part of a mosque, with a balcony from which a muezzin calls Muslims to prayer.
- On July 10, the muezzin called for the Muslim prayers from the minarets of Grenada's grand mosque once again after nearly 500 years of Muslim rule on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Mosques typically include domes and minarets; minarets are used for the call to prayer, and domes signal a place of prayer and Islamic education.
- The plaques bearing Quranic calligraphy in homes, canopied gravestones, the call of the muezzins arising out of the pencilled minarets of the mosque further confirm it.
This word for a slender tower (for example, part of a mosque) comes via Turkish from Arabic manār(a) ‘lighthouse, minaret’, based on nār ‘fire or light’.
- Example sentences
- There are no pinnacled heights, no stratified, minareted walls, no precipiced cirques and glacier-shrouded peaks.
- Designed by a Persian architect, the twin structures along with a minareted gateway in the middle, lie above basement in an arcade, with secret passages.
- These are built on high plinth with slender minareted towers on each of the Four Corners and can be noticed even from a distance.
Words that rhyme with minaretabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
Definition of minaret in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan