Definition of minimalism in English:
1A trend in sculpture and painting that arose in the 1950s and used simple, typically massive, forms.
- Tate cites influences on Gallagher's work ranging from bebop to hip hop, from abstract expressionism to minimalism to the postmodern, and identity-based art of the recent decade or so.
- Styles as varied as Pop art, minimalism and even performance art embrace the still life style.
- Artists were engaged in such varied practices as minimalism, Earthworks, Photo-realism, conceptual art, performance art, and feminist art.
2An avant-garde movement in music characterized by the repetition of very short phrases that change gradually, producing a hypnotic effect.
- Claiming to have been hugely into minimalism and avant-garde music by the time he hit high school, Jim O'Rourke's stock took a blow in the credibility department with me.
- A favorite of the great Czech conductor Rafael Kubelik, St Wenceslas prefigures late twentieth century minimalism with its repetitive chorale theme and luminous string figurations.
- The headliner for the Irving Plaza shows was Tortoise, an instrumental band that dips into minimalism, lounge music, jazz and rock.
Definition of minimalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan