Definition of minimalist in English:
1A person advocating minor or moderate reform in politics.
- As the referendum approached, longstanding splits between the minimalists and maximalists within the republican movement became significant.
- Libertarian minimalists must take the extra step to fashion a doctrine that debunks realism and supports their own foreign policy outlook.
- Now, if libertarian minimalists do the latter, they would be taking issue with my policy views, not adopting them.
2A person who advocates or practices minimalism in art or music.
- Although his latter-day works have been compared to those of Arvo Part and Henryk Gorecki, both best-selling minimalists, Tavener's music is different because of its immediate sweet-sounding appeal.
- In other words, Matta-Clark accomplishes with architecture an operation analogous to what the minimalists and the process artists accomplish with sculpture when they deprive it of its anthropomorphic and immortal aspects.
- Off ice, he listens to mostly classical music from the minimalists like Philipp Glass and Steve Reich to the romantics of Tchaikovsky.
adjective(also minimalistic) Back to top
1Advocating moderate political policies.
- Hyperglobalizers insist that the minimalist political order of the future will be determined by regional economies linked together in an almost seamless global web of production and exchange.
- Appalled by judicial activism, he advocated a classical, minimalist role for the court after the tumult of the 1960s.
- All they had done, in reality, was to fight over the principle of republicanism and then endorse the minimalist head of state selection model from the Republic Advisory Committee Report.
2Of or relating to minimalism in art or music.
- In the 1980s and 1990s, Torke's music was a synthesis of aggressive neo-classicism and minimalist influences, firmly rooted in tonality.
- The revolving structure of the melody brings to mind minimalist composers Steve Reich and Philip Glass in its apparent simplicity, but subtle complexity.
- In recent times, even minimalist composer Philip Glass tried his hand at the genre.
Early 20th century: first used with reference to the Russian Mensheviks. Usage in art and music dates from the 1960s.
Definition of minimalist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.