- It was not easy to find people to mend your shoes, repair your broken zipper or anything else that might be of minor importance but that is necessary for daily life.
- Several minor incidents of little significance are included.
- Against this kind of background, the Northern Ireland situation is of much more minor importance.
- Yet by bar 3, where the two basic scale-motifs are concatenated to form five notes of an A minor scale, the tonality is in doubt.
- The fingering chart provided on page 111 fails to identify the minor scale form being illustrated.
- If a major interval is made a half step smaller without changing its numerical name, it becomes a minor interval.
- Diminished intervals are created when a perfect or minor interval is made one half step smaller and the interval number is not changed.
- I think it's just that I like to compose in minor keys.
- The touching ‘Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel’ combines Wilson's epic sentimentality with soft minor keys.
- All three movements use fairly melodic material, all in minor keys.
- where P, S, and M are the major, minor, and middle terms of the syllogism.
- Notice that the minor premise of the syllogism above is only marginally contingent upon historical analysis.
- In most cases, it identifies the conclusion that is to be accepted and then goes on to identify what it to be argued for (the minor premise).
- You have to make out a major premise in this case and there is also a question as to even if you make out your major premise whether or not the minor premise is made out, given the various facts to which I referred you.
- It may be now legal for minors to donate to campaigns, but I believe there is a requirement that the donors' names over a minimum amount be reported, is there not?
- Yet, four centuries on, we are told that smoking among minors, especially young girls, is on the increase.
- The committee was concerned about removing existing legal protections for minors if they enter into a de facto relationship.
- Yet he will conjure a few bars in the minor where possible and darken textures by shunting to the subdominant.
- Themes initially stated in the major mode recur more strongly in the minor.
- Each major key is followed by its parallel minor.
- Other terms for even numbers of bells include Minor (6 bells), Major (8 bells), Royal (10 bells) and Maximus (12 bells).
- We ring whatever people ask for including Stedman Doubles, Crayford Minor and Norwich Surprise Minor.
- You'll never find perfect baseball in the minors, but stories from Miguel Cabrera to Bucky Jacobsen are enough for me.
- From 1988 through 1991, Schilling had split time between the minors and the major leagues in each of those seasons.
- Bragan's managerial ingenuity in confronting umpires was almost unlimited, both in the major leagues and the minors.
- He chose a philosophy minor, and several courses in classics as electives.
- I have a bachelor's degree in education with an art minor from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
- The theme school concept could easily develop into a collegiate minor.
- I prove the minor, because your father is known by you and your father is the one approaching; hence, the one approaching is known by you.
- This is called the fallacy of the illicit minor.
verb[no object] (minor in) North American
- As a young brother, I majored in biology and minored in religious studies at St. Mary's College, Moraga, California.
- I too, am Native American of the Cherokee tribe and I minored in Native American studies in college.
- Koehler has provided outstanding leadership in presenting graduate courses to students majoring and minoring in statistics.
in a minor key
- (Especially of a literary work) understated.Example sentences
- It is a minor film in a minor key, but it is helped immeasurably by one thing - the role of Mina is played by Carole Bouquet.
- The real trouble is a plot line from Middle Earth via the New Age that features our questing hero Tommy Matisse (the artist, get it?), well played in a minor key by Dan Spielman as a star composer at the Royal Academy of Music.
- If ever a film was composed in a minor key, it is this beautiful and sad movie from the Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan, which simply floats like a helium balloon above the middling mainstreamers that have rolled up this week.
Middle English: from Latin, 'smaller, less'; related to minuere 'lessen'. The term originally denoted a Franciscan friar, suggested by the Latin name Fratres Minores ( 'Lesser Brethren'), chosen by St. Francis for the order.
Words that rhyme with minorangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, miner, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, shiner, signer, South Carolina, Steiner, twiner, whiner
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.