Definition of miosis in English:
Excessive constriction of the pupil of the eye.
- Symptoms include nasal congestion, ptosis of one eyelid, miosis, and conjunctional hyperemia.
- Oral pilocarpine is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled asthma and in patients in whom miosis is undesirable, such as patients with acute iritis or narrow angle (angle closure) glaucoma.
- After inhalation of vapour, respiratory symptoms, dimming of vision, and miosis are generally the first clinical features to appear.
- Example sentences
- Its pharmacology accounts for its analgesic and antitussive properties, along with adverse effects such as respiratory depression, decreased bowel motility, miotic pupils, nausea and hypotension.
- Since the pupillary sphincter is not receiving blood, neither light nor a miotic agent produces miosis.
- Although topical miotic drops or gel preparations are poorly tolerated by younger patients due to induced myopia and accommodative spasm, pilocarpine Ocuserts are extremely well tolerated.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan