Definition of mirid in English:
An active plant bug of a large family that includes numerous plant pests. Formerly called capsid1.
- Family Miridae (formerly Capsidae), suborder Heteroptera
- In the 25 days of observation, for example, 57 plants were found to harbor an average of 3.3 predatory mites, 16 plants contained nabids, and 30 plants contained mirids.
- Lindane, a highly poisonous organochlorine, is sprayed on crops of cacao plants growing in Ghana and other west African countries to control mirid bugs, which cause the plants to wilt.
- In the subfamily Bryocorinae, the mirids are separated into two tribes, Monaloniini or Odoniellini.
1940s: from modern Latin Miridae, from mirus 'wonderful'.
Words that rhyme with miridvaried • sacred • hatred
Definition of mirid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.