1Calculate (an amount, distance, or measurement) wrongly.
- She told him she had miscalculated the amount of money she needed for stock and was in danger of losing her customers if she couldn't meet her commitments.
- I finally finished the decking today.… I started to put the deck boards on yesterday whilst it was drizzling with rain and found out that I'd miscalculated the amount of boards I needed.
- They died because someone miscalculated the amount of time it would take for the car to cross the railroad tracks.
1.1Assess (a situation) wrongly: the government has seriously miscalculated the effect of privatization [no object]: you miscalculated if you imagined I’d fallen for your little scheme
More example sentences
- He seriously miscalculated public opinion of the other countries.
- No less did he miscalculate the effect on public opinion in Iran.
- He also added that he believes that it is essential that the leadership of the People's Liberation Army do not miscalculate in this situation.
Words that rhyme with miscalculatecalculate
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.