1Paste made from fermented soybeans and barley or rice malt, used in Japanese cooking.
- When the fermentation of miso is complete the soya beans retain their original shape.
- She makes miso from fermented soya beans each spring, treading them first with a pair of wellies and then pounding the pulp into blocks, finally hanging them in the rafters to dry.
- Like a lot of Japanese ingredients, miso is handy to have in the fridge, where it will last for up to a year.
2 (also miso soup) A soup seasoned with miso paste, often with added tofu or vegetables: a bowl of piping hot miso
More example sentences
- Plain tofu is often eaten in the morning with a touch of ginger, or miso soup with tofu on the side.
- Dipped in miso, it has a sweet, jellied, curiously dissolving quality, like some exotic form of vegan candy.
- I had several bottles of hot sake and some miso to accompany our dish of sashimi.
Definition of miso in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.