Definition of misplay in English:
Pronunciation: /misˈplā/[with object]
Play (a ball or card) wrongly, badly, or in contravention of the rules.
- One of those singles was due to the Queen's returner misplaying the ball near the goal line and having no choice but to concede the point.
- He has shown a tendency to put his head down and slow down after misplaying balls, but that's more because he gets upset with himself.
- The Irish industry seriously misplayed their cards and shot themselves in the foot.
Pronunciation: /ˈmisˌplā/Back to top
An instance of playing a ball or card wrongly or badly.
- Their decisive six-run first inning in Game 5, too, hinged on Oakland misplays - misplays in the late-afternoon light that somehow didn't trouble New York.
- If there is a runner on first and the batter hits a ball down the right-field line, the scorer has to watch the ball and the fielder for a possible misplay.
- But you can easily reason that in this case, Perez noticed Tails' misplay, and as a result, Perez took advantage of the misplay and scored a run.
Words that rhyme with misplayaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea • cantabile • roundelay
Definition of misplay in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.