(also missel thrush)
Definition of mistle thrush in English:
A large Eurasian thrush with a spotted breast and harsh rattling call, with a fondness for mistletoe berries.
- Turdus viscivorus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- Meanwhile, the chaffinch, great tit, and mistle thrush, which nest high up in trees, have shown no marked decline.
- Despite the fall in song thrush numbers its bigger cousin, the mistle thrush, is still to be heard, singing its heart out from the tops of trees.
- For the third year running a mistle thrush has chosen an amber traffic light in Salford to rear her young.
Early 17th century: mistle from Old English mistel (see mistletoe).
Definition of mistle thrush in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.