1A trial rendered invalid through an error in the proceedings.
- The criminal charges were withdrawn in September 2002, after the original trial was declared a mistrial.
- At that point, the plaintiff moved that I declare a mistrial based on a reasonable apprehension that I am biased in favour of the defendant.
- Notwithstanding my declaration of a mistrial, the parties have consented to my hearing the applications and to all the evidence that I have heard applying to these applications.
1.1US An inconclusive trial, such as one in which the jury cannot agree on a verdict.
- Because if they are stymied, if they are making no progress, if this, you know, somehow were to end in a mistrial or a hung jury, that's a victory for the defense.
- The first, held this summer, ended in a mistrial because the jury deadlocked.
- With the high likelihood of a hung jury, which I understand would be a mistrial, I'm wondering what happens to the defendant.
Words that rhyme with mistrialdenial, dial, espial, Lyall, myall, Niall, phial, trial, vial, viol
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mistrial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.