Definition of mitochondrion in English:
noun (plural mitochondria /-drēə/)Biology
An organelle found in large numbers in most cells, in which the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production occur. It has a double membrane, the inner layer being folded inward to form layers (cristae).
- Chloroplasts are cell organelles comparable to the mitochondria of animal cells.
- Inside the cytoplasm are mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum.
- The singlet oxygen damages cell membranes, mitochondria and cell nuclei.
- Example sentences
- This precaution may extend to all mutants with defective mitochondrial morphology.
- Destructive and degradative rearrangement of mitochondrial ultrastructure under anaerobic stress.
- They localized preferentially at mitochondrial sites and perinuclear regions.
Definition of mitochondrion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan