Definition of mizzen in English:
1 (also mizzenmast) The mast aft of a ship’s mainmast.
- The crew had formed a circle on the deck around the mizzenmast and the captain, whose back was turned to her.
- Also, the fore-and-aft sail on the mizzenmast, originally a triangular lateen sail, was changed to accommodate the more modern rig.
- His square-rigged ship with the cross and bones flying from the mizzenmast was a feared sight in the eyes of captains of merchant barques.
2 (also mizzensail) The lowest sail on a mizzenmast.
- A gust of wind hit them as the mizzensail was unfurled, followed by the mainsail and the foresail.
- Sure, you need to be able to tell the contemporary equivalent of a fore topgallant from a mizzen topsail, but that's what all those seminars and lectures are for.
- Bellerophon's main topmast had been shot away and her mizzen topmast was in a precarious state.
Definition of mizzen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan