Definition of mockingbird in English:
A long-tailed thrushlike songbird with grayish plumage, found mainly in tropical America and noted for its mimicry of the calls and songs of other birds.
- Family Mimidae (the mockingbird family): three genera and several species, especially the northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) of North America. The mockingbird family also includes the catbirds, thrashers, and tremblers
- Francis gives a similar explanation for the exceptional mimicry of mockingbirds, suggesting that mimicry itself was not favored by natural selection.
- Although first cousin to the melodious mockingbird, a catbird's song is seldom musical.
- In Massachusetts winter residents include chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, titmice, cardinals, and mockingbirds.
Words that rhyme with mockingbirddickybird • whirlybird
Definition of mockingbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan