Definition of mockingbird in English:
A long-tailed thrushlike songbird with grayish plumage, found mainly in tropical America and noted for its mimicry of the calls and songs of other birds.
- Family Mimidae (the mockingbird family): three genera and several species, especially the northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) of North America. The mockingbird family also includes the catbirds, thrashers, and tremblers
- Francis gives a similar explanation for the exceptional mimicry of mockingbirds, suggesting that mimicry itself was not favored by natural selection.
- Although first cousin to the melodious mockingbird, a catbird's song is seldom musical.
- In Massachusetts winter residents include chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, titmice, cardinals, and mockingbirds.
Words that rhyme with mockingbirddickybird • whirlybird
Definition of mockingbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.