Definition of Mohawk in English:
noun (plural same or Mohawks)
1A member of an American Indian people, one of the Five Nations, originally inhabiting parts of eastern New York.
- This includes the Canadian native Indians such as the Mohawks and the Inuit, the original inhabitants of the land who were displaced, dispossessed and marginalised.
- The war with the Pequot no sooner ended than the Narragansett were fighting the Mohawk.
- The Mohawks in New York also contributed to the defeat of the insurgents by preventing outside assistance or escape.
2The Iroquoian language of the Mohawk.
- The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.
- Italian and Greek are prominent immigrant languages, and Cree and Mohawk are prominent indigenous languages.
- An Iroquoian language, Oneida is most closely related to Mohawk.
3chiefly North American A hairstyle in which the head is shaved except for a strip of hair running centrally from the middle of the forehead to the back of the neck.
- We go out past the town along the riverside, through pine forest and scrub, and get as far as a beach, where a large man with a Mohawk is standing waist-deep in the water smoking a cigarette.
- He says he used to spend 25 minutes a day straightening his kinky hair into a Mohawk before deciding one day that maybe punk means not caring about what you look like.
- His bleached Mohawk stood out in stark contrast to his bronzed skin.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mohawk or their language.
- It was also her evidence that these schools have a large percentage of Mohawk children (both from the reserve and off) and offer Mohawk language and a Mohawk curriculum.
- He writes poetry in both English and Mohawk and is working to devise an improved written form for the Mohawk language.
- This description was appropriate for a man who made his fortune trading with the native Indians in the Mohawk valley and the nations of the Iroquois confederacy.
From Narragansett mohowawog, literally 'man-eaters'.
Definition of Mohawk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.