- A large migratory orange and black butterfly that occurs mainly in North America. The caterpillar feeds on milkweed, using the toxins in the plant to render both itself and the adult unpalatable to predators.
More example sentences
- Danaus plexippus, subfamily Danainae, family Nymphalidae
- The most incredible butterfly journey, measured in thousands of miles compared with our painted lady's few hundred mile trip, belongs to the monarch butterfly of North America.
- During its final growth stage, the constantly feeding larva of a monarch butterfly consumes an amazing 2.25 times its own weight in milkweed per day.
- Some insects, like the monarch butterfly, migrate to warmer climes in winter.
More definitions of monarch butterflyDefinition of monarch butterfly in:
- The British & World English dictionary