(also monkey puzzle tree)
Definition of monkey puzzle in English:
An evergreen coniferous tree with branches covered in spirals of tough, spiny, leaflike scales, native to Chile.
- Araucaria araucana, family Araucariaceae
- Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.
- The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.
- The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.
Mid 19th century: said to be so named in response to a remark that an attempt to climb the tree would puzzle a monkey.
Definition of monkey puzzle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.