Definition of monkshood in English:
An aconite with blue or purple flowers. The upper sepal of the flower covers the topmost petals, giving a hoodlike appearance.
- Genus Aconitum, family Ranunculaceae: several species, including the North American A. uncinatum and the European A. napellus
- The mound, from base to crown, was cloaked in flowers; in monkshood, columbine, goldenrod, blazingstar and others.
- If I am diligent I can get an extra few weeks out of the delphiniums, foxgloves and monkshood by removing the spent blooms.
- The refuge was established to protect the northern monkshood, a relative of the buttercup that the federal government classifies as a threatened species.
Definition of monkshood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan