- An aconite with blue or purple flowers. The upper sepal of the flower covers the topmost petals, giving a hoodlike appearance.
More example sentences
- Genus Aconitum, family Ranunculaceae: several species, including the North American A. uncinatum and the European A. napellus
- The mound, from base to crown, was cloaked in flowers; in monkshood, columbine, goldenrod, blazingstar and others.
- If I am diligent I can get an extra few weeks out of the delphiniums, foxgloves and monkshood by removing the spent blooms.
- The refuge was established to protect the northern monkshood, a relative of the buttercup that the federal government classifies as a threatened species.
More definitions of monkshoodDefinition of monkshood in:
- The British & World English dictionary