Definition of monocle in English:
A single eyeglass, kept in position by the muscles around the eye.
- The knight was now looking around through a single monocle at all the boys passing by, sizing one up for a leader.
- His eyes were a raven black and one eye wore a monocle that was positioned across his nose.
- Finally, out of its leather pouch came his monocle - a plain lens in a rolled gold double rim.
- Example sentences
- That hasn't stopped the monocled Crown Prince, whose opulent lifestyle includes a multi-million-dollar mansion.
- The monocled gentlemen at America's top nut factory developed a tempting canned nut medley: Planter's Mixed Nuts.
- The woman who sat across from Price in the first class train coach was more loquacious than her monocled husband who sat beside her, absorbed in his newspaper.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan