Definition of monocline in English:
A bend in rock strata that are otherwise uniformly dipping or horizontal.
- This rotation caused the large-scale monoclines that characterize the footwall geometry of the Güney and Kuzey detachments.
- The Triassic limestones are stacked along monoclines of c.1 km thickness gently dipping toward the north.
- Ductile fabrics and tectonic boundaries in the southern part of the Cine massif outline a large-scale monocline, the tectonic significance of which is not known.
- Example sentences
- The conspicuous monoclinal folding of Caledonian nappes in the half-graben above the Hardangerfjord Shear Zone is the most outstanding expression associated with the shear zone.
- The result is a monoclinal rollover anticline, its tightness increasing progressively with continued fault displacement.
- The subhorizontal or gently northwest-dipping stratification of the nappe stack would rotate during the shearing to form the monoclinal structure.
Definition of monocline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.