Definition of monoecious in English:
(Of a plant or invertebrate animal) having both the male and female reproductive organs in the same individual; hermaphrodite. Compare with dioecious.
- This monoecious species has male flowers occurring in catkins and female flowers occurring in clusters.
- Now monoecious trees occur in the endangered species list more than you would expect by chance.
- A single quantitative trait was described by the genetic model for a population of diploid, monoecious individuals, with an initial population mean of 100.
- Example sentences
- Bertin showed that both dichogamy and monoecy are present with equal frequency in self-compatible and self-incompatible plants.
- Groups in which dioecy evolved from monoecy consist of monoecious and dioecious species, while groups in which dioecy derived from gynodioecy are composed of gynodioecious and dioecious species.
- Sagittaria latifolia consists of various populations ranging from monoecy to complete dioecy.
Pronunciation: /ˈmänˌēsē, ˈmō-/noun
Definition of monoecious in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan