(also monofil /ˈmänəˌfil/)
1A single strand of man-made fiber.
- Some manufacturers have developed combinations of monofilaments and fibrillated fibers; others blend macrofibers and microfibers together.
- At the high-quality end of the industry, flock manufacturers cut flock from long cables of parallel monofilaments of nylon, rayon, or polyester.
- ‘We can use a monofilament to detect the loss of sensation in the foot,’ he explains.
1.1A type of fishing line using a single strand of man-made fiber.
- I am not a great exponent of braided lines so tend to use monofilament for my fishing.
- The ability to tie a good knot in monofilament and braid lines is an ability to be cultivated and practised.
- It's essential when fishing braid, to add about 30-ft of monofilament to the end of the braid.
Definition of monofilament in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.