1Consisting of one metal only.
- Cast or wrought monometallic aluminum bearings have high load-carrying ability, and can withstand very high speeds.
1.1Of, involving, or using a standard of currency based on one metal.
- A fairly unanimous consensus focusing on money as a means of exchange based on a monometallic standard and leading to a narrow definition of money is developed.
- The latter, monometallic, standard has problems of coin size (too small or too large) and of susceptibility to counterfeiting.
- The widely accepted belief that originally the United States was on a monometallic ‘gold standard’ is incorrect.
- Example sentences
- The monetary system of western Europe had evolved towards monometallism, at first based on an increasingly debased gold coinage and in due course on silver.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of monometallic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.