1Consisting of one metal only.
- Cast or wrought monometallic aluminum bearings have high load-carrying ability, and can withstand very high speeds.
1.1Of, involving, or using a standard of currency based on one metal.
- A fairly unanimous consensus focusing on money as a means of exchange based on a monometallic standard and leading to a narrow definition of money is developed.
- The latter, monometallic, standard has problems of coin size (too small or too large) and of susceptibility to counterfeiting.
- The widely accepted belief that originally the United States was on a monometallic ‘gold standard’ is incorrect.
- Example sentences
- The monetary system of western Europe had evolved towards monometallism, at first based on an increasingly debased gold coinage and in due course on silver.
Definition of monometallic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.