1 Physics A single electric charge or magnetic pole, especially a hypothetical isolated magnetic pole.
- ‘In a sense the searches for both magnetic monopoles and gravity waves are very similar,’ he says.
- The result would be quite different if the magnetic dipoles were composed instead of free monopoles, analogous to electric charges.
- Yet particle theories like Grand Unified Theories and superstring theory predict magnetic monopoles should exist.
2A radio antenna or pylon consisting of a single pole or rod.
- Common HF antennas like vertical monopoles, horizontal wire dipoles, and loop antennas all provide omni-directional communications when configured properly.
- A digital radio hi-fi tuner will come with an indoor aerial, either a ribbon dipole or a monopole (half dipole).
- Marsis features three long antenna booms - a dipole and monopole - that broadcast very long wavelength radio waves toward the planet.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan