Definition of Monterey cypress in English:
A cypress tree with a large spreading crown of horizontal branches and leaves that smell of lemon when crushed, native to a small area of California and widely planted in temperate climates worldwide. Also called macrocarpa.
- Cupressus macrocarpa, family Cupressaceae
- Created when Mexican land grants were divided by San Francisco lawyer-leaseholders in 1857, the old ranches huddle behind clumps of wind-deformed Monterey cypresses.
- The biggest Monterey cypress is also notable for having a 116-foot crown spread, second among conifers after the 130-foot crown of the Torrey pine.
- Much of the path is shaded with Monterey cypress and pine trees and some eucalyptus.
Definition of Monterey cypress in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.