- An aluminum-rich clay mineral of the smectite group, containing some sodium and magnesium.More example sentences
- To test their theory, the researchers added small particles of montmorillonite - a clay widespread in the environment.
- The three investigators found that a porous clay called montmorillonite, already known to encourage the linking of nucleic acids, also has an effect on fatty acids, the building blocks of cell membranes.
- Ancient deposits of weathered volcanic ash containing the special healing mud known as montmorillonite have been found on a farm 15 km east of Northampton.
mid 19th century: from Montmorillon, the name of a town in France, + -ite1.
More definitions of montmorilloniteDefinition of montmorillonite in:
- The British & World English dictionary