A widely distributed fern with a single small frond of fan-shaped lobes and a separate spike bearing the spore-producing organs, growing typically in grassy uplands and old meadows.
- Genus Botrychium, family Ophioglossaceae: several species, in particular the rare B. lunaria
More example sentences
- Apparently moonworts produce only one leaf per year, which is split into two parts: one for photosynthesis and one for producing spores for reproduction.
- Especially in the West, most moonworts are uncommon and hard to find even for known populations.
- Only a small portion of moonwort populations emerge above the forest floor's leaves and needles.
Definition of moonwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary