Definition of moth-eaten in English:
1Damaged or destroyed by moths.
- Inside, I would probably find nothing of interest: maybe some moth-eaten old clothes and someone's forgotten junk.
- The musty, moth-eaten curtains, once a grand crimson, were now dull brown and drooping listlessly.
- He covered her with the moth-eaten blankets and the stale smell of the room clung to the walls and to her.
1.1Old-fashioned and no longer appropriate or useful.
- If you enter any big library, in one corner of it, some age-worn, moth-eaten books may greet you.
- There was a shoddy wooden control tower, with a moth-eaten windsock and several obsolete instruments on it.
- In the Members Hall, the pictures of former Prime Ministers, Speakers and Presidents of the Senate have been taken down - but the real concern is over the moth-eaten Leader of the Opposition.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan