Definition of moth-eaten in English:
1Damaged or destroyed by moths.
- Inside, I would probably find nothing of interest: maybe some moth-eaten old clothes and someone's forgotten junk.
- The musty, moth-eaten curtains, once a grand crimson, were now dull brown and drooping listlessly.
- He covered her with the moth-eaten blankets and the stale smell of the room clung to the walls and to her.
1.1Old-fashioned and no longer appropriate or useful.
- If you enter any big library, in one corner of it, some age-worn, moth-eaten books may greet you.
- There was a shoddy wooden control tower, with a moth-eaten windsock and several obsolete instruments on it.
- In the Members Hall, the pictures of former Prime Ministers, Speakers and Presidents of the Senate have been taken down - but the real concern is over the moth-eaten Leader of the Opposition.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.