Definition of mother ship in English:
1A large spacecraft or ship from which smaller craft are launched or maintained.
- Diligence carries extensive engineering workshops and can provide emergency electrical and fresh water supplies, making her an ideal mother ship for smaller craft engaged on relief work.
- The service maintains a computer register of ships capable of acting as the mother ship to host the submersible rescue system.
- Dozens of smaller ships from the alien mother ship fly out, shooting laser shots at the Battle Ships.
1.1A place regarded as a base, source, or headquarters: the gallery quickly became Modernism’s mother ship in jazz-age New York
More example sentences
- On New Year's Eve in San Francisco's Market district, the mothership has no beginning or end.
- Instead, this became a chance to show our willingness to work together within the new mother ship.
- Those dealers, Landry adds, represent 65 percent of retail sales, a fact not lost on the U.S. mothership in Detroit.
Definition of mother ship in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan