Definition of mourning in English:
1The expression of deep sorrow for someone who has died, typically involving following certain conventions such as wearing black clothes: she’s still in mourning after the death of her husband
More example sentences
- The university closed for three days as of Friday and flags are flying at half-mast in mourning of the rector's death.
- The best thing anyone in mourning can do is live and hope.
- The view that the whole nation was in mourning was well wide of the mark.
1.1Black clothes worn as an expression of grief when someone dies.
- Wives wear mourning for the relatives of their husbands precisely as they would for their own, as would husbands for the relatives of their wives.
- Children under fifteen are not expected to wear mourning, nor should any girl under seventeen wear crape.
- Indeed, many people do not put on mourning at all, save for very near relatives.
Words that rhyme with mourningaborning, awning, dawning, morning, spawning, warning
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.