- A strip of black material that is worn around a person’s sleeve as a mark of respect for someone who has recently died.More example sentences
- The bearer party, in full ceremonial day dress and their commanding officer and warrant officer wearing black mourning bands, lifted her coffin.
- However, other initiatives, such as the wearing of mourning bands and ribbons and the closing of shops on the day of the funeral as a mark of respect, suggest a return to some of the traditions that have died out.
- More often than not, I see people wearing mourning bands emerging from restaurants beaming with satisfaction.
More definitions of mourning bandDefinition of mourning band in:
- The British & World English dictionary