Definition of mourning cloak in English:
A migratory butterfly with deep purple yellow-bordered wings.
- Nymphalis antiopa, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae
- I believe they were mostly Harris's checkerspots and wood nymphs, or the like, but there were also the occasional monarchs, swallowtails, and mourning cloaks.
- Doug talks about some local species of butterflies, ones with cool names like mourning cloaks, commas, and question marks.
- Butterflies including the tiger swallowtail and mourning cloak rely on the flowers of the red maple for their survival and reproduction.
Definition of mourning cloak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia