Definition of mourning cloak in English:
A migratory butterfly with deep purple yellow-bordered wings.
- Nymphalis antiopa, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae
- I believe they were mostly Harris's checkerspots and wood nymphs, or the like, but there were also the occasional monarchs, swallowtails, and mourning cloaks.
- Doug talks about some local species of butterflies, ones with cool names like mourning cloaks, commas, and question marks.
- Butterflies including the tiger swallowtail and mourning cloak rely on the flowers of the red maple for their survival and reproduction.
Definition of mourning cloak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.