Definition of mourning dove in English:
A North and Central American dove with a long tail, a gray-brown back, and a plaintive call.
- Zenaida macroura, family Columbidae
- Of course, we still have our year-round chickadees, titmice, cardinals, woodpeckers, mourning doves and song sparrows.
- Passenger pigeons looked like mourning doves, but more colorful, with wine-red breasts, green necks and long blue tail feathers.
- Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.
Definition of mourning dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan