Definition of mourning dove in English:
A North and Central American dove with a long tail, a gray-brown back, and a plaintive call.
- Zenaida macroura, family Columbidae
- Of course, we still have our year-round chickadees, titmice, cardinals, woodpeckers, mourning doves and song sparrows.
- Passenger pigeons looked like mourning doves, but more colorful, with wine-red breasts, green necks and long blue tail feathers.
- Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.
Definition of mourning dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.